Thursday, January 10, 2013

Why Do We Need Religion?


We hear of religious cover-ups, pedophiles, and crusades; so why do bother with religion?  For many people, the word religion is a negative idea.  So why do we need religion?

When I was a non-religious teenager, I went through a period when I felt like my life had no real meaning.  School, family and daily activities seemed like an empty routine.  I wondered, Why do I exist?  What does this life mean?  How should I live?  That search led me to go to church, to listen to the sermons?  That led me to read the Bible for myself.  I discovered a personal relationship with God, a God who forgave my sins through Christ’s death and resurrection.  I’d been created by God to honor and glorify God.  I found MEANING in religion.

Years later, I learned that my search for meaning was not unique.  In the last generation or two, American lifestyles have provided more free time and material things than our grandparents could have ever imagined; so we have more opportunities to consider whether our lives have meaning or purpose.  The results are not good.  Millions suffer from depression.  Countless others escape through drugs or alcohol.  Too many give up and end it in suicide. 

Many have found meaning and purpose through religion.  Why are we here?  What does it all mean?  How should we live?  - these questions are answered by religious leaders and texts such as the Bible. 

Viktor Frankl survived the Nazi death camp at Auschwitz, and after the war, he studied the Nazi death camps and their survivors.  He was startled to learn that it was not the youngest, strongest, or smartest who usually survived the death camps.  It was those who had found meaning in their lives.  People need a reason to live.

Many of us believe that we’ve been created to glorify and honor God.  Many gather each week to worship Jesus Christ as our Higher Power.  Healthy congregations also function as extended families that support each other as a faith community.  Many participate in religious groups that provide food and clothing for low-income folks, such as Sharing Hope in Hugo.  The Salvation Army is well known for housing the homeless and other charitable work. 

Some say we need God or Jesus, but NOT religion.  Our desire for God and Jesus becomes religious when we gather and organize and decide who will teach, lead worship, count the offering, and have officers and committees or teams.  We gradually go from seeking God and Jesus to a religious organization.

Christian leaders teach forgiveness, love of God and loving your neighbor, and justice.  We also acknowledge that there are bad religious people among us, individuals and groups that do not reflect God’s values.  However, the best forms of faith and religion answer the questions of why and how.  We need a reason to live, a reason to get out of bed in the morning.  I believe the Biblical values of faith, hope, love, joy, and peace are found through a relationship with the Lord God.

Here’s my question to you: Do YOU have a REASON to live?  Why do you desire to live on this earth?  What does this life MEAN?  If you’re not satisfied with the meaning and purpose of your life, seek out a church in your area, that answers those questions.  Ask church leaders how their faith gives them a reason and purpose for living.  What does their faith mean for this life on earth?  


No comments:

Post a Comment